The role of a laughter therapist is to make it easier for the client to laugh. This is often done in a one-on-one or group setting by teaching various techniques to get you laughing. The body cannot differentiate between a real or fake laugh, therefore the benefits are the same.
Laughter therapy has started to become more popular after the success of laughter yoga, a type of yoga that originated in Mumbai. Today, there are over 5,000 clubs for laughter therapy across the globe. Laughter yoga incorporates breathing, stretching, clapping and laughing exercises. The laughter yoga workshop allows participants to experience endorphin release, which makes one feel great and relaxes the entire body. This has a great effect on reducing stress or muscle tensions. It is also a bit of a work out because laughing increases muscle tone and stimulates the respiratory system, all of which help improve the immune system.
Anyone can be involved in laughter therapy and the settings for therapists are very varied. A session of laughter therapy leaves one feeling overjoyed and at the same time, a little upbeat. Laughter therapy is beneficial in the long run because it allows us to deal with stress or pain in a more positive manner.
It also makes us understand that laughter does not need to be synonymous with happiness, but can encourage feelings of happiness instead. Patients learn to laugh at anxiety, stress and anger. Even if it is fake laughter, it lifts our spirits since our bodies cannot tell the difference anyway.
Finding ways of laughing everyday, whether it is a daily joke or sit-com can help improve your life and wellbeing. Spending time with children is another excellent way of encouraging laughter.
- Dance 'or' Movement Therapy- How can you benefit from this natural method of wellbeing...
- How music can heal you in myriads of ways... Music Therapy
- Abstract art- can help to identify our deeper emotions
- What is Chelation Therapy? Learn how Chelation Therapy can help you to get rid of heavy metal toxicity and achieve your health-goals...
- What is Bio-energetics bodywork therapy? How can Bio-energetics help with health & healing?