- Facing a shrine or Buddha image, place your palms together in front of your chest in a "Namaste" gesture. This gesture of 'Namaste' called 'Gassho' is supposed to be a sign of reverence and symbolizes the unity of one's self with Buddha and the entire world.
- Ring the prayer bell three times and bow to the shrine or Buddha image.
- Now light the candle and say- "Mindful of the Buddha of Eternal Life and Light, I calmly light this candle, brightening the face of the earth."
- Now bow to the shrine or Buddha image and again ring the prayer bell once.
- Then light the incense and say- "In gratitude and joy I offer this incense to Buddha of Eternal Life and Light, the teacher of gods and humans, the sovereign of all worlds. May the fragrance of this incense help manifest in my heart and mind the fruit of understanding."
- At this point bow again to the shrine or Buddha image and ring the prayer bell once and say- I take refuge in Buddha. I take refuge in the Dharma. I take refuge in Sangha."
- At the end of this prayer, bow three times to the shrine or Buddha image with reverence to complete your incense offering and prayer.