Sutak means a time of special energetic significance, where we need to follow specific rituals and protocols.
Since solar eclipses are very potent in energy, it is considered advisable to follow a sutak if the eclipse is visible in your region. Depending on eclipse times for your region, these sutak times are provided in the Panchang* (Hindu calendar).
- It is not considered advisable to travel or conduct business activities during sutak times. Such spiritually potent energetic periods are considered unfavorable for material activities.
- Pregnant women, older people and ones who are sick are advised to take even more care and precautions during eclipse and sutak times.
- Though modern scientists recommend viewing solar eclipse with special eyewear; our Rishis and Sages advised against watching it.
- If possible, try to remain indoors. Close all windows and curtains so as to not let any eclipsed light into the house.
- It is best to take a shower or bath before and after the eclipse. Cleaning with water cleanses the aura.
- Food and drinks should be avoided during sutak period. Any previously cooked food should be discarded, and fresh food should be prepared after the sutak.
- It is believed that any prayers, sadhana or meditation conducted during the actual eclipse time will bear tremendous benefits and fruits!
- Any charity done during an eclipse is also supposed to bestow more merits and good karmas.
- Eclipses are some of the best times to do any kind of special, extended prayers- particularly for spiritual progress and heightened conscious awareness.
Mantra for Lord Narayan:
Om Namo Narayanay || ॐ नमो नारायणाय||
or simply, one can chant the name of Narayan
Narayan || नारायण ||
Mantra for Lord Vishnu:
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevay
|| ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय||
One can also chant name of Lord Ram (राम), an avatar of Lord Vishnu that is specifically associated with the Surya graha*. Here is a longer prayer-chant…
Shree Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram
|| श्री राम जय राम जय जय राम ||
Eclipse provides an opening to a powerful energetic portal. Hopefully you can follow as many of the sutak protocols as possible and utilize the eclipse time to obtain an enhanced and aware consciousness…