Sutak means a time of special energetic significance, where we need to follow specific rituals and protocols.
Since solar eclipses are very potent in energy, it is considered advisable to follow a sutak if the eclipse is visible in your region. Depending on eclipse times for your region, these sutak times are provided in the Panchang* (Hindu calendar).
- It is not considered advisable to travel or conduct business activities during sutak times. Such spiritually potent energetic periods are considered unfavorable for material activities.
- Pregnant women, older people and ones who are sick are advised to take even more care and precautions during eclipse and sutak times.
- Though modern scientists recommend viewing solar eclipse with special eyewear; our Rishis and Sages advised against watching it.
- If possible, try to remain indoors. Close all windows and curtains so as to not let any eclipsed light into the house.
- It is best to take a shower or bath before and after the eclipse. Cleaning with water cleanses the aura.
- Food and drinks should be avoided during sutak period. Any previously cooked food should be discarded, and fresh food should be prepared after the sutak.
- It is believed that any prayers, sadhana or meditation conducted during the actual eclipse time will bear tremendous benefits and fruits!
- Any charity done during an eclipse is also supposed to bestow more merits and good karmas.
- Eclipses are some of the best times to do any kind of special, extended prayers- particularly for spiritual progress and heightened conscious awareness.
You can pray to any deity, but if you are doing special prayers for solar eclipse, then you can pray to Lord Narayan or Lord Vishnu (note that Surya, i.e. Sun is also called Surya Narayan).
Mantra for Lord Narayan:
Om Namo Narayanay || ॐ नमो नारायणाय||
or simply, one can chant the name of Narayan
Narayan || नारायण ||
Mantra for Lord Vishnu:
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevay
|| ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय||
One can also chant name of Lord Ram (राम), an avatar of Lord Vishnu that is specifically associated with the Surya graha*. Here is a longer prayer-chant…
Shree Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram
|| श्री राम जय राम जय जय राम ||
Eclipse provides an opening to a powerful energetic portal. Hopefully you can follow as many of the sutak protocols as possible and utilize the eclipse time to obtain an enhanced and aware consciousness…